A mammography technician is required in the healthcare units as in charge of operating an imaging machine so that breast diseases can be detected and diagnosed. The major responsibilities of the mammography technologist jobs are to greet patients, review their identification and request documentation, explain procedures and answer queries, and many more. This article will let an individual know about the mammography technologist and his or her responsibilities.
What is Mammography Technologist?
A mammography technologist is recruited for the front line of screening both men and women for breast cancer and other health problems. An X-ray system is used by the technicians to take images of the breast so they need to know how this type of imaging equipment is used. Not only this, but the mammography technician is responsible for taking care of the equipment and making sure that it works properly. The medical history is taken by mammography technicians and the questions of patients are answered by them. Also, they assist physicians to review the results and maintain a record of the procedure in the patient’s file.
What credentials does one need to become a mammography technician?
To be employed as a mammography technician, an individual is required to become certified as a radiographic technologist by AART (American registry of Radiographic technologists). When it comes to licensure requirements, many states require a license or radiologic technologist certification and also available additional mammography certification.
What are the responsibilities of a mammography technician?
Here mentioned are some major responsibilities that come with the mammography technologist job:
- Lead the organization in defining deployment processes into a production environment that features multiple and interdependent Internet applications.
- Analyze images, FRAX, from DXA reports, send exams to PACS, and complete reports are transferred to RIS.
- Perform MR imaging so that the health problems of the patients can be diagnosed.
- Monitor the patient exam’s status and also review in RIS and PACS to make sure that patients have been complete with required documents.
- Assist by positioning patients for conducting breast MRI.
- Perform DXA scans like LVA.
- Enter necessary data for the RIS system.
- Use the Hologic scanner to scan patients.
- Train other technologists using the machines and computer RIS systems.
- Collect, organize, and conduct FDA inspection passing and that too without citations.
- Perform MRI QC and QA that is responsible for MRI safety education for both patients and staff.
- Develop SharePoint web parts to extract the FTP files that are to be sent to the third-party vendor.
- Help make changes to triage protocols so that triage time and wait time can be cut down and patient flow can be managed.
- Performing the pediatric cardiac, MRI/MRA neuro, abdomens, mask, chest, and also runoff of the lower extremities.
As a mammography technician, one would most likely look for mammography technologist jobs in hospitals or clinics. However, it is being estimated that the job opportunities are to be increased at doctor’s offices and centers that specialize n diagnostic imaging. The average annual wage for a mammography technician is expected to be around $62,000.